Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Antithetical Points of Views

I apologize if this post may sound passe, or slightly obnoxious (work, don't fire me) but I have such a hard time understanding something.
This is the definition I've found of a liberal. 'Liberal: Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.'
Does that not mean that they are accepting and tolerant of ALL other behaviors and beliefs?
I am in NO WAY a republican, or hard core conservative. I'm registered independant, and would consider myslef a moderate. I vote based on factual information, policies that I can relate or agree with, and reason. I don't go along with views because they are trendy or 'in' for the time being. Anyway, back to the definition, if this is the case, then WHY do people who label themselves as liberal have such a hard time with Christianity? Conflicting views. A little bit confused I think people are sometimes, but they just want to make a point. I know that I've blogged about this in very early posts, but due to a circumstance today, I feel I must reblog.
For example, currently at work I'm clipping and doing all of this press for Conor Obersts' letter he sent to the governor or mayor or whatever of Arizona in response to the immigration law they just passed. Conor is rounding up artists and bands to basically boycott the law by not performing any concerts there. That's fine. Good for Conor and everyone for standing up in what they believe in. Seriously. Standing for something you believe if you know what you're talking about is a beautiful thing. But if they are so vehement on equality, then why can't people just be equal with people of other religions. This has nothing to do with Conor Oberst, I was just making a comparison between the views of a hipster new age liberal who's obviously against any for of organized religion that I had dealt with today.
Same idea. Equality. But, it's usually just Catholicism and Christianity that people have a problem with, I've come to notice in my years of living. I must say I would think working in an indie music / electro music industry would be a lot more laid back and chill, but it's really not. It's just as catty and political as anywhere else. Only in a perfect world, I suppose. I'm not about to get all political and preacher like on anyone, I just am trying to see what the point of putting down Christian views are. I've always had a hard time accepting the fact that people will shit on my views in a second, which means no matter how lost I may be in my faith, I still must have it somewhere deep inside of me.
Ugh, I don't know. At least I stand for something.

1 comment:

  1. I think that (some) people who consider themselves liberal aren't really liberal, (I'm independent but tend to lean democrat) they just believe in the power of the people and no rules, which makes them think they are total badasses who don't need any type of politics. And because Christianity (especially catholicism) is very political, they think its really not cool enough for them. I can see both sides because I tend to stay away from organized religion because I dont think politics are necessary to believe in God, but Catholicism definitely gets put down alot and no one really considers it prejudice for some reason.

    ReplyDelete